Sunday, August 29, 2010

Moose 5k CC - Concord, NH 8-29-2010


I have slept less than 5 hours/night now for what' seems like 2 weeks. Traveled to Canada, Philadelphia, ridden a fundraiser century, managed to bang out a 3 day company strategic plan build session, and now am getting ready to board a plane to Switzerland, back for a few days before we head to Florida Disney with the kids, then off to Interbike in Vegas for our industry show, then race CX Vegas.

With the rest of the team in Canada to manage World Cup MTB at Mt.St.A, I headed with the family to a cross country 5k in Concord, NH. My second race in 2 weeks, no speed efforts, no training, but I have been enjoying running in between my time on the bike.

Work life in my new role has me working hard to balance, work, life, fatherhood, being a good husband, travel, and training to race in any discipline.

The 5k was categorized as a trail XC (cc) 5k race along the Merrimack River. Managed by good guy Michael Amorello of 3C LLC (race director). I knew Mike from my racing days but really hadn't seen him in years. The course description upon arrival seemed to have a hill up/down over rt 93, some trails, and managed to cover plenty of NHTCC campus. All in all, $16 registration and a chance to run tempo it was an easy decision.

Wish I could tell you the race details were exciting, but simply laid out like a a development plan in the bronx, it was complex. First mile split was 5:43. The legs were light but the stitch setting in was kick-a$$. My right side was stabbing (seems I need to do some speed work) - HR was 173avg at the split, a bit under my typical CX race. Mile 2 was a 6:12 split, I was running in 5th spot after jumping in the heals of another runner that had come through me like I was standing still. I watched up ahead as the lead rider was G-O-N-E (gone). The final mile was in the open sun heat (92 degree heat). I knew I had one more hill to get up. I was closing on 4th place runner ahead by the time we managed the slight bump (hill) over the pass-way. Only a few turns left and we had a 300-400 meter straight finish. I missed his jump (he already had 30 meters on me into the final turn). I focused the last 400 meters on (well, not dying).

My final 100 meters I saw Ker and the girls off to my left on the picnic blanket. Was that a cookie Anna was eating? Ok, so I notice these things when I race. Looking up the clock was in the low 18's. WHAT? I had expected to run 20minutes here. Recall my single reader, I have not raced for 5 years, and frankly have been running for a few weeks under #CPC, and these 2 races I have done were for fun. How the heck am I in the 18's?

I managed to hold on to 5th place and run a sanctioned 5k course in sub 6 minute/mile pace, or an 18:26 official time. Polar 72 watch time reads 18:19, but either way running sub 6 for 3.1 is a gift and beggars can not be choosers at this stage, and age.

Managed to win a pint glass in my age group (did I mention pint glasses are my thing). Not bad for $16, in and out in less than 1 hour. Hmm.....


2 comments:

  1. "(did I mention pint glasses are my thing)"

    Mine too...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zen - hahahah,...oh, how I recall the few posts about the 'pint glass'.....

    ReplyDelete