Saturday, December 19, 2009

"The Other Side" from Kicking the Can - Matty B and IF

The other side.

The bicycle industry is a dynamic culture. A 'bro' culture. A culture of innovation through dysfunction. I am new to the industry, perhaps my fresh young eyes see things with a horizon.

I like resolution. I work with in the confines of fences. I work well in black, white and have had to develop my color blending.

There are always two sides to any incident.


** Photo of Gary Smith from IF (www.if bikes) web page **

When I sat with Matt Bracken to discuss his abrupt and unannounced departure from Independent Fabrication (he was President of IF Bikes) he hesitated for less than a second. We had spent much time over the months discussing at length who he was, and how his departure rocked his core. Sure, he admits, he did many things wrong, sure everyone has a 50% approval rating at best (amongst peers, family, friends), but to know one is to understand their strengths and weaknesses.

If willing to take the time to invest emotionally in a family member, a friend, a colleague, an friend of a friend, you will learn much. I have always said you learn the most about people when they are faced with the hardest of hardships. What do people think of you? What does my 50% of non-approvals say about me. What is their side?

No one has realized the fact that Matt Bracken has a history in the cycling industry that surpasses almost anyone else I met. There is a reason he is a rock star at Interbike (I gave up trying to walk the floor with him). BUT - there are two sides.

I am very sure Gary Smith also has a 50% approval rating. (as do I - as do you). So I thought it prudent to produce an entry to allow Matt Bracken FOR THE FIRST TIME to tell his side of the story. Read it, how impressive is it the guy still speaks praise of the company that let him go after 9 years, unannounced, from a man who has not yet spoken his side.

So - I reached out. I sent Gary Smith a personal e-mail sending him the link to this blog. I though a chance for the new President of INDEPENDENT FABRICATION BICYCLES to see what the former President Matt Bracken has said, his first time speaking about his departure.

I am a fan of the brand IF Bikes - I am blessed to have Binary Code Ti-CX and SEC Svelte Cycles. My original post has had nothing to do with the brand but rather humanity.

I was offering the chance for Matt Bracken & Gary Smith to clean the slate. Rise above the industry bull shit, the 'bro' crap, the grudges the industry drama seems to harbor. The Trek vs. Specialized drama is lame. I come from the food industry; I used to work close with Pete L my biggest competitors guru. We talked, we shared drinks, this bicycle industry drama is lame.

I also see the smaller brands like IF, Seven, Spooky, Geekhouse, they should have a special bond, culture inside & out. What does the brand speak (or 'reak') of if there is no integrity before and after someone joins a company. Trek vs. Specialized turf war is a drama. I have pity on the management teams. Self absorbed arrogant a-holes. That is my description of these big bike company ego's.

So - I offered to Gary Smith a chance to reply to Matty B.

Here is what he said (in my translation) - not prudent to post his e-mail, and not ethical.

"Thanks a ton for supporting the brand, I recall meeting you at Interbike. Thank you for the offer, but it will do no good for anyone for me to reply. We need to move on".

I will not push 'the other side' out of Gary. I thank him for his reply. Confident he replied as I am a customer, he is a smart man. He has achieved becoming the President and majority shareholder/owner of one of the strongest brands in the industry, so chapeau Mr.Smith. I remain, I have no personal side, nor position, Matty B is a great friend,...but like any friend I am smart enough to realize there are two sides.

The industry should see this possible reconciliation as an example of two men parted by posturing coming together for the good of the brand and humanity.

But - hell, maybe I am naive.....I am new to this dysfunctional industry. Too bad the line in the sand was not drawn, and two men said fuck it, let's man up and set an example, no more....but they didn't.

Happy Holidays.



1 comment:

  1. glad that you were willing to explore both sides. so often internet journalism only is focused on telling one-side of the story.

    ReplyDelete